Andritz selected to supply complete pulp mill to UPM in Uruguay
Austria-headed international technology group Andritz AG has announced that it was selected by Finland-headed forest industry major UPM to supply energy-efficient and environmentally leading equipment and processes for all main process islands in fiber production and chemical recovery for UPM's new pulp mill to be built near Paso de los Toros in central Uruguay.
In July 2019, UPM announced that it had made the decision to invest US$2.7 billion in the construction of greenfield eucalyptus pulp mill near Paso de los Toros in central Uruguay. This world-class eucalyptus pulp mill will have an annual production capacity of 2.1 million tonnes and is scheduled for start-up in the second half of 2022.
According to a statement, the Andritz scope of supply includes the following:
- A complete Wood Processing Plant maximizing utilization of various eucalyptus species.
- The world’s largest single-line Fiberline, including state-of-the-art LoSolids continuous cooking with efficient heat recovery and unique washing and bleaching technology based on DD-Washers, all contributing towards high-quality pulp, highest operational time, and low chemical consumption, thus having the lowest environmental impact.
- A new and innovative EvoDry Pulp Drying System with two energy-efficient pulp drying lines based on the high-capacity Twin Wire Former technology.
- An energy-efficient black liquor Evaporation Plant with a tailor-made process solution resulting in high availability and increasing the overall production and efficiency of the plant.
The HERB Recovery Boiler features energy-efficient flue gas cooling and feed water preheating technologies to maximize steam production for power generation. The state-of-the-art HERB Recovery Boiler is designed for extended operating periods.
- A biomass Power Boiler based on high-quality Andritz EcoFluid Bubbling Fluidized Bed (BFB) technology. The scope of supply includes a biomass-fired boiler with flue gas cleaning and other auxiliary equipment. The Power Boiler also supplies steam for the mill during start-up. The fuels used are bark, harvesting residues and sludges from the mill.
- A complete White Liquor Plant. The new recausticizing plant includes efficient green liquor filtration with LimeGreen filters – producing clean green liquor and minimizing waste to landfill. The new lime kiln plant includes two lime kilns with high-efficiency Andritz LimeCools.
According to Andritz, the core equipment to be supplied by the company will originate largely from Finland and thus will have a significant positive employment impact on Andritz staff there as well as on the Andritz workshops where a large part of the core equipment for this contract will be manufactured.
Andritz also supplied a complete pulp mill in Fray Bentos, Uruguay, which was started up successfully in 2007 and is now owned by UPM. This major new order, the value of which has not been disclosed, “once again confirms the excellent and long-term business relationship between Andritz and UPM”.