Austria-headed international technology group Andritz AG (ANDRITZ) has announced that it has received an order from the Brazilian pulp producer Suzano S.A. (Suzano) to deliver state-of-the-art and resource-efficient technologies for all main process islands in the fiber production and chemical recovery plant, for its Cerrado Project in the municipality of Ribas do Rio Pardo, State of Mato Grosso do Sul, Brazil.
With an annual production capacity of close to 11 million tonnes, Brazil-headed Suzano is the world’s largest pulp producer currently operating with 12 pulp mills, including the Veracel joint venture with Stora Enss.
Earlier this year Suzano announced that it is investing in a new fossil-free pulp mill. With an annual production capacity of 2.55 million tonnes, Cerrado will be the world’s largest plant with a single eucalyptus pulp production line.
Civil construction, installation, commissioning, and start-up services are also included in the ANDRITZ scope of supply. Start-up is scheduled for the second half of 2024.
The ANDRITZ scope of supply, the value of which has not been disclosed, includes the following:
- A complete Wood Processing Plant with five chipping lines – each consisting of the world’s biggest horizontally fed HHQ-Chipper with a capacity of 500 m3 solid-under-bark per hour. The ANDRITZ HHQ-Chipper ensures highest and most uniform chip quality, thus significantly increasing fiber yield in both woodyard and fiberline operations. The scope also includes two ANDRITZ 360° stacker-reclaimers, the chip screening system and bark handling with two ANDRITZ BioCrushers, as well as preparation of biomass for both gasification and the power boiler.
- The world’s largest single-line Fiberline (capacity over 8,000 adt/d), including state-of-the-art LoSolids continuous cooking enabling high pulp yield, efficient heat recovery, and unique washing and bleaching technology based on DD-Washers – all contributing towards high-quality pulp, longest operating times, and low chemical consumption, thus minimizing environmental impact.
- An innovative EvoDryTM Pulp Drying System with two energy-efficient pulp drying lines (working width of 10,005 mm and capacity of 4,000 adt/d each) based on the high-capacity Twin Wire Former technology. Both lines are equipped with a fully automatic, hands-free tail threading system. The drying plant is designed for a specific plant capacity of approximately 400 adt/m, and the final pulp bales are produced in six complete, high-capacity baling lines.
- An energy-efficient black liquor Evaporation Plant with a capacity of 2,650 t/h, which has advanced energy integration with the cooking plant and the Ash Recrystallization Plant (ARC). Easy-to-clean lamella heating surfaces ensure high availability and easy operation of the plant. The integrated ARC chlorine removal plant provides high availability and energy efficiency of the recovery boiler, with a high rate of removal for non-process elements in the ESP ash.
- The HERB Recovery Boiler with a firing capacity of 11,150 tds/d black liquor, with steam values of 515°C and 100 bar(g) at the turbine, features energy-efficient flue gas cooling and feed water preheating technologies to maximize steam production for power generation. The state-of-the-art HERB Recovery Boiler is designed for extended operating periods. The boiler is equipped with SMART recovery boiler solutions, such as smelt spout cleaning robots and Advanced Control Expert (ACE). With this plant, the mill will be self-sufficient in energy supply and has the capacity to sell approximately 180 MW of surplus green energy to Brazil’s power grid.
- A biomass Power Boiler with 120 t/h steam production capacity based on the high-performance ANDRITZ EcoFluid Bubbling Fluidized Bed (BFB) technology. The scope of supply includes a biomass-fired boiler with flue gas cleaning and other auxiliary equipment. This Power Boiler also supplies steam for the mill during start-up. The fuels used are bark, debarking wood losses, screening rejects, harvesting residues, and sludges from the mill’s wastewater treatment plant. In addition, the new Power Boiler is combined with the Recovery Boiler to form a “Boiler Island”, and some of the auxiliary equipment is shared between the two boilers. This provides savings in both investment and operating costs.
- A complete White Liquor Plant with ANDRITZ gasification plants, enabling full fossil-free operation of the lime kilns with an optimized pulp mill carbon footprint. The new recausticizing plant (25,100 m³/d white liquor production) includes efficient green liquor filtration with LimeGreen filters – producing clean green liquor and minimizing waste to landfill. This new lime kiln plant comprises two lime kilns (940 t/d each) with high-efficiency ANDRITZ LimeCools and ANDRITZ LimeFire multifuel burners. The supply also includes two CFB gasification reactors with biomass handling equipment and two belt dryers.
According to ANDRITZ, this order “once again” demonstrates the company’s strong global position in the supply of state-of-the-art and environmentally friendly chemical pulp mill technologies on an EPCC basis. The proven process technologies will strongly support Suzano in reaching its financial and sustainability goals.