Neste's Christmas "Ham-Trick", 12 000 kg fat gave 10 000 litres renewable diesel
Neste's Christmas charity diesel deal - 12 000 kg ham fat from 40 000 households gave 10 000 litres renewable diesel.
Last Christmas, 40,000 Finnish households donated the waste fat from their Christmas hams to the charity campaign “Kinkkutemppu” or “Ham Trick”. From this waste ham fat, Finnish oil refiner and renewable fuel producer Neste produced 10 000 litres of Neste MY Renewable Diesel at its Porvoo refinery for sale at Neste stations. Neste donates the value of the product to Hope, an association which helps low-income families, and to Icehearts, a sports club which aims to prevent social exclusion and promote well-being.
– Altogether, we received 12,000 kg of waste ham fat, producing enough renewable diesel to travel four times around the globe. This is a huge figure. It is an indication of the interest of Finnish people towards this campaign and the circular economy in general. The campaign is a good example of how waste and residues can be utilised in energy production and as a raw material for renewable fuels. This campaign involved a number of different parties whose cooperation was excellent. We all found this campaign to be meaningful, and we worked hard for its success, said Osmo Kammonen, Senior Vice President, Communications and Brand Marketing at Neste.
The Kinkkutemppu campaign is a cooperation project initiated by the Chemical Industry Federation of Finland with the purpose of bringing the circular economy closer to consumers by means of a concrete example. Before Christmas 2016, consumers were requested to carry their ham fat to recycling points of Finnish Packaging Recycling RINKI located in conjunction with selected K-food stores all over Finland.
Lassila & Tikanoja then transported the fat to Honkajoki Oy for treatment. Neste uses the collected ham fat to produce Neste MY Renewable Diesel at its Porvoo refinery, which it subsequently fuel donated to charity. The Finnish Water Utilities Association took part in the campaign with a reminder not to pour ham fat down the drain whereas the Rural Women’s Advisory Organisation communicated to households the possibility of recycling ham fat.
The campaign in figures:
- Volume of donated fat: 12 000 kg
- Number of donations made: 40 000
- Volume of renewable diesel manufactured: 10 000 litres
- The number of times it is possible to travel around the globe using this fuel: 4 (average consumption 6 l/100 km)
- Amount donated to charity: EUR 14 500
According to Neste, its MY Renewable Diesel has up to 90 percent lower greenhouse gas emissions during the life cycle of the fuel compared to conventional fossil diesel.