Green gas going global – new CEDIGAZ biomethane market report
The biomethane sector is booming worldwide. There will soon be more than 1 000 biomethane production plants operating in thirty-four countries, up from 720 at year-end 2017 and 173 in 2010. Long centered in Europe, the green gas sector is indisputably going global according to a new report from France-headed international natural gas association CEDIGAZ.
Since 2010, world biomethane production has increased exponentially, reaching three billion cubic meters (bcm) in 2017. In Europe, biomethane use is spreading across the continent. There are now nineteen European producing countries, whose output totalled nearly 2 bcm in 2017.
Across the Atlantic, the United States (US) is now world leader for the use of biomethane as vehicle fuel, further to its production surge of 2014-2017 and driven by federal and state regulations.
The fact that China and India have recently adopted biogas upgrading technology promises to be a game changer. Both countries have set ambitious biomethane production targets and figure as huge emerging markets. In Central and South America, Brazil is taking regulatory steps to exploit its huge potential.
Report and database fills void
Despite a flurry of projects and rising interest among governments and industry players worldwide, data on this sector are, according to CEDIGAZ, comparatively scarce and sources of information – national, regional or sectoral – are highly dispersed.
To fill this void, CEDIGAZ is launching a new report and database focused on global biomethane markets and production plants which it says are “valuable tools” for policymakers, energy companies, equipment providers or any entity or individual following this rapidly expanding market. The report and database provide:
- An overview of global biomethane production and markets, biogas upgrading plants, key drivers and future trends (region by region)
- Country reviews for forty countries in Europe, North America, Asia, Central & South America, and Africa
- In-depth case studies on key developed and emerging biomethane markets, e.g. U.S., Canada, Brazil, Germany, France, China, and India.
- Details concerning the main technical features, current status (existing, under construction and planned), production capacity and location of installations as of year-end 2017.
- Data on 1 020 biomethane production plants in 34 countries.