In Spain, global energy provider ENGIE has revealed that it has been awarded the construction and operation of a new biomass-based heat plant in Pamplona that will supply heat to 4 500 homes and several public buildings in the Navarre capital. The project "consolidates ENGIE's leadership" in the creation of district heat and cooling networks in Spain and involves launching one of the most ambitious plans for energy efficiency and rehabilitation of cities in Spain.
Promoted by the Government of Navarra, and in collaboration with the City Council of Pamplona, the new biomass-fired heat plant is the main investment and infrastructure of the “Efidistrict” energy rehabilitation project that the Nasuvinsa public company has launched in the Txantrea neighborhood.
The infrastructure project as a whole requires a total investment of over EUR 12.5 million. Nasuvinsa will invest EUR 6.5 million in civil works, urbanization and around 4.5 km of distribution networks with 50 percent co-financing from the Operational Programme of the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) 2014-2020 of Navarra.
According to ENGIE, this is one of the projects selected among the actions financed by ERDF for its “important support for energy efficiency, intelligent energy management and the use of renewable energies.”
The balance of the investment – EUR 6 million in two installments – will be borne by ENGIE as a concessionaire of the heating plant for a period of 25 years. The plant will be located in the access to Orvina by the North Round (PA-30) – in three plots shared by the municipalities of Pamplona and Burlada, which have been chosen for their location and be publicly owned – will become operational in 2020, expanding to a second phase later.
In the first phase, it will have a thermal production capacity of 14.5 MW and this will double to reach 29 MW in the second phase.
Forest biomass is estimated to cover around 90 percent of the fuel demand with fossil gas the remaining 10 percent not least during peak demand. Apart from improving the carbon footprint and reducing energy dependency, the project facilitates the generation of local employment in rural areas and will improve the energy rating of all those homes that are connected to the heat network of this new plant.