All subjects
Heat & Power

SWEP signs multiyear Energy Transfer Stations contract with Kvitebjørn Varme

Swedish heat exchanger solutions provider SWEP International AB (SWEP), a Dover Corporation (Dover) company has announced that it has signed a multiyear contract with Norwegian district energy provider Kvitebjørn Varme AS for the supply Energy Transfer Stations (ETS) to advance the expansion of district heating in Tromsø, Norway.

“Prosjekt Valemon” was the project name for the establishment of a new energy recovery plant in Tromsø and the expansion of the distribution network for district heating on Tromsøya (photo courtesy Kvitebjørn Varme).

Kvitebjørn Varme owns and operates the district heating network supplying district heating for residential heating, hot water, and street heating for residents, buildings, and streets in the city of Tromsø.

The contract for SWEP, a leading supplier of compact brazed plate heat exchangers, entails the delivery of 25-35 ETS units per year with the relationship extending beyond supply and delivery, as SWEP will continue to extend technical expertise to help ensure satisfactory performance of the ETSs in the district heating network in Tromsø.

Apart from a supplier of Energy Transfer Stations, we consider SWEP a technical resource whose advice and support regarding design and operation of energy transfer stations we appreciate, said Geir Magne Olsen, CCO and Head of Sales and Development for Kvitebjørn Varme.

Part of renewable heat expansion

Kvitebjørn Varme delivers more than 150 GWh of thermal energy annually, dominated by utilization of excess heat from waste incineration and the vast remainder from biomass fuels and electricity. Hot water is distributed through a network of underground pipes from central heating plants to the end customers.

The ambition is that 96 percent of all district heating in Tromsø will be produced by renewable energy sources by 2023, with the remaining 4 percent being generated by electricity.

SWEP began working with Kvitebjørn Varme in 2017 when the NOK 500 million (≈ EUR 53.3 million) new energy recovery plant “Prosjekt Valemon” in Skattøra was put into operations.

As the expansion of the distribution network continues, SWEP systems will continue to supply Kvitebjørn Varme with ETS for several years using SWEP brazed plate heat exchangers and technological know-how.

Most read on Bioenergy International

Get the latest news about Bioenergy

Subscribe for free to our newsletter
Sending request
I accept that Bioenergy International stores and handles my information.
Read more about our integritypolicy here