Morbark launches two new machines at Expo Richmond
US-based Morbark, LLC, a leading manufacturer of forestry, biomass, tree care, sawmill, and wood recycling equipment, is debuting two new machines at this year’s Expo Richmond show currently taking place in Richmond, Virginia (VA): the 6400XT Wood Hog Horizontal Grinder and the 50/48X Whole Tree Drum Chipper.
Morbark listened closely to our customers when we developed both the 6400XT Wood Hog and the 50/48X Drum Chipper. We took our previous proven design technology and added the features our customers want and the versatility they need when we created these high-production units, said Michael Stanton, Morbark Director of Industrial Sales.
6400XT Wood Hog Horizontal Grinder
Both machines are debuting at the Expo Richmond, East Coast Logging and Equipment Exposition currently underway in Richmond, Virginia (VA).
The Model 6400XT is the newest model in Morbark’s next-generation platform of horizontal grinders. Industry demands for high-production mobile units that meet stringent logistic restrictions but remain economically viable were the leading drivers during the design phase, said Stanton.
The 6400XT includes many feature improvements present in the smaller 3400XT, introduced last year. The infeed bed is 24 inches (60.96 cm) longer than previous Morbark grinders in the 1 000-plus horsepower range and has sloped sides. This configuration improves operator sight lines for more efficient loading of material.
Standard on the 6400XT is a removable infeed chain return floor, which allows excess material to fall away to minimize the wear on the floor, bed chain and inserts, particularly useful in land-clearing or other applications with dirty material.
Also similar to the 3400XT is the focus on transportability. The 6400XT weighs in at less than 96 500 lb (under 44 tonnes) and measures 11’5½” (3.49 m) wide with the standard Caterpillar 325L undercarriage with 600 mm double grousers, allowing the unit to be transported to nearly all domestic and international markets.
When we introduced the 3400XT last year, our customers responded very favourably. It had a major impact on the market, and we expect the 6400XT to be as well received, explained Stanton.
Stanton highlights several operator-friendly features focusing on accessibility for daily maintenance, including:
- The extended 31.5″ wide (80 cm, 25 percent increase) platform between the hood and engine for ease of changing grates and access to diesel engine
- A fixed work platform for better access and safety during common grate and hammermill maintenance
- A hydraulic hinged door and hood locking system to provide quick access during grate changes — the hydraulics unlock with a simple turn of a knob
- A consolidated area for oil and hydraulic filters
- An independent hammermill drive tensioning system for ease of adjustment
- The larger feedwheel (40″/101.6 cm diameter, an increase of more than 15%), which raises 17″ (43.2 cm) above the current 4600XL yoke and 11″ (27.9 cm) above the 6600 yoke to allow better access to the hammermill during insert inspection
- The 42″ x 61″ (107 cm x 155 cm) solid-plate rotor with 3″ (7.6 cm) retaining rods and a 42″ (106.7 cm) tip swing. The standard hammer pattern is 18 hammers with 18 rakers, but like all Morbark rotors, it can be configured to multiple patterns for various application requirements.
The standard engine options for the 6400XT are the Caterpillar C27, 1,050-hp (783 kW) engine or Caterpillar C32, 1200-hp (895 kW) engine, both Tier 4 Final. The proven and exclusive driveline protection system is standard on all Wood Hog models. The externally adjustable, break-away torque limiter helps to protect the driveline and hammermill from catastrophic damage caused by contaminants.
Updated 50/48X Whole Tree Drum Chipper
Also being showcased at Expo Richmond is an updated 50/48X Whole Tree Drum Chipper that Stanton describes as “the most productive portable drum chipper in the industry” that has become even better.
The 50/48X was updated to a similar design layout as Morbark’s other industrial drum chippers with a sloped infeed, reverse-pivot top feed wheel, bottom feedwheel, externally adjustable anvil and Advantage 3 drum assembly that can come as 10-knives for fuel chip or 20-knives for micro-chip applications.
Making it easier for customers to perform routine daily maintenance guided many of the new improvements. This focus resulted in the development of:
- A hydraulic hinged door and hood locking system to provide quick access to the drum during knife change intervals
- Large work platforms on both sides for easier and safer drum inspections
- A consolidated area for oil and hydraulic filters, easily accessible from the ground or maintenance platform
- An independent drum drive tensioning system for ease of adjustment
- An increased area between the engine and chipper base for easy access during general engine inspection and belly band removal
Other improvements focused on performance and production. The powerful top feedwheel was enlarged more than 15% to 40″ (101.6 cm), and the enhanced hydraulic system now includes a direct drive Poclain motor for the top and bottom feedwheel that eliminates previous chain and sprocket drives and provides more torque.
The 50/48X can be equipped with a Caterpillar C27, 1,050-hp (783 kW) engine or Caterpillar C32, 1200-hp (895 kW) engine, both Tier 4 Final. The PT Tech HPTO15 hydraulic clutch is now standard, which allows flexibility across a wide range of chip sizes.
The Morbark 50/48 has long been the industry standard for high-production mobile fuel and micro-chip applications, and we strongly feel these improvements will minimize downtime, increase production and provide overall customer success. For both of these high-production machines, we focused on improving the experience for the customer with features that increase performance and production and make routine checks and maintenance easier, delivering on our promise of making heavy-duty equipment that helps enable our customers to succeed, ended Michael Stanton.
The event also marks the first major industrial trade show at which Rayco equipment will be featured alongside Morbark’s since Rayco Manufacturing was acquired by Morbark in November 2017.