All subjects
Biofuels & Oils

Aemetis Universal Biofuels secures US$34M of biodiesel contracts

Aemetis Universal Biofuels secures US$34M of biodiesel contracts
Aemetis Inc. subsidiary Universal Biofuels Pvt Ltd is the owner and operator of a 50 million (US) gallon (≈ 189.2 million litres) per annum biodiesel plant located near the Port of Kakinada on India's east coast (photo courtesy Universal Biofuels).

US-headed advanced renewable fuels and biochemicals company Aemetis Inc. has announced that its Universal Biofuels subsidiary in India, owner, and operator of a biodiesel plant located near the Port of Kakinada on India’s east coast, was selected by the three government-controlled Oil Marketing Companies (OMCs) to supply approximately 8.5 million gallons (≈ 32 million litres) of biodiesel over the next three months.

An error occurred

You are logged in as subsbriber at Bioenergy International, but something is wrong.

On your profile you can see what subscriptions you have access to and more information.

Is some of the information wrong – please contact our customer service.

Please reload the page

We could not ascertain if you are logged in or not. Please reload this page.
Bioenergy International premium

Do you want to read the whole article?

Only logged in payed subscribers can read all contents on
As an subscriber you get:
  • Six editions per year
  • Full access to all digital content
  • The E-magazine Bioenergy international
  • And more ...

According to a statement, revenues from the shipments are expected to be approximately US$34 million of the US$538 million of total tender offers issued by OMCs to fulfill biodiesel demand during the second quarter of 2023.

Approximately 70 percent of the 25 billion gallons (≈ 95 billion litre) diesel market in India is supplied by the OMCs, with the remaining 30 percent supplied by large non-governmental oil refineries.

We are pleased to see the Indian government’s commitment to the implementation of the 2022 National Biofuels Policy, and the OMC’s purchasing processes are resulting in significantly increased demand for biodiesel in India. The required product quality testing for the contracts has been completed and biodiesel deliveries have commenced for the contracted period of April, May, and June, stated Sanjeev Gupta, Managing Director of the Universal Biofuels subsidiary of Aemetis.

Aemetis built the 50 million gallons (≈ 189 million litre) per year capacity biodiesel plant on the East Coast of India to convert agricultural products and byproducts into high-quality biodiesel that can reduce air pollution while creating new agricultural and manufacturing jobs in India.

The Aemetis Universal Biofuels plant delivers high-quality biodiesel fuel and has built a reputation as a proven large-scale renewable fuels producer in India.

The total volume tendered by the India OMCs was approximately 132 million gallons (≈ 500 million litres) for the three-month delivery period.

As one of India’s largest domestic biodiesel producers, Aemetis Universal Biofuels is well-positioned to expand production to meet the large domestic demand being created by the OMC’s tender offers.

A 5 percent minimum blend of biodiesel by 2030 was adopted as a goal under the 2022 amendment to the India National Policy on Biofuels to expand the domestic production and consumption of biodiesel.

The biofuels policy seeks to improve the environment through lower air pollution from diesel vehicles and expanding economic growth by increasing the domestic production of biodiesel feedstocks.

Biodiesel feedstocks include renewable oils that are byproducts from food production, which can lower the overall cost of food and improve the environment by creating new markets for these byproducts.

Most read on Bioenergy International

Get the latest news about Bioenergy

Subscribe for free to our newsletter
Sending request
I accept that Bioenergy International stores and handles my information.
Read more about our integritypolicy here