In the United States (US), the US Department of Energy's (DOE) Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE) has announced a US$156 million funding opportunity that will advance high-impact applied research, development, and demonstration (RD&D) projects to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions across the nation's industrial sector.
Please reload the page
Do you want to read the whole article?
- Six editions per year
- Full access to all digital content
- The E-magazine Bioenergy international
- And more ...
This funding opportunity announcement (FOA), led by EERE’s Industrial Efficiency and Decarbonization Office (IEDO), will drive innovation to develop the next-generation technologies required to decarbonize industry, revitalize American manufacturing, create good-paying jobs, and improve community health.
Decarbonizing the industrial sector is seen as critical to achieving the nation’s climate goals.
In 2020, the industrial sector accounted for 33 percent of the nation’s primary energy use and 30 percent of energy-related carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions.
The industrial sector is also one of the most complex sectors due to the wide diversity of energy inputs, processes, and operations.
Achieving net-zero emissions across the US economy by 2050 will require an aggressive, multidimensional approach to eliminating industrial emissions.
Some technologies needed to fully decarbonize the industrial sector are in the early stages of development, while others are much closer to commercialization.
Rooted in the principles identified in the 2022 Industrial Decarbonization Roadmap, this investment is part of the innovation pipeline that DOE is building to accelerate the development and adoption of industrial decarbonization technologies.
The FOA includes the following topics:
- Topic 1: Decarbonizing Industrial Heat
- Topic 2: Low-Carbon Fuels Utilization RD&D
- Topic 3: Exploratory Cross-Sector R&D; Subtopic 3a: Enabling Flexible Industrial Energy Use; Subtopic 3b: Enhanced Thermal Conductivity Materials
- Topic 4: Decarbonizing Chemicals
- Topic 5: Decarbonizing Iron and Steel
- Topic 6: Decarbonizing Food and Beverage Products
- Topic 7: Decarbonizing Cement and Concrete
- Topic 8: Decarbonizing Forest Products
EERE envisions awarding multiple financial assistance awards in the form of cooperative agreements. The estimated period of performance for each award will be approximately three years.
Concept papers are due April 17, 2023, and full applications are due June 23, 2023.