Italy-headed oil and gas major Eni S.p.A and Indonesian state-owned oil, gas and energy company PT Pertamina have recently signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to cooperate in the areas of the circular economy, low carbon products and renewable energies. The MoU will investigate synergies of their respective technologies, expertise and know-how, for jointly evaluating new collaboration opportunities for Eni and its subsidiaries Syndial and Versalis.
In particular, Eni and Pertamina agreed to explore opportunities and discuss collaboration in waste transformation processes and biomass valorization processes, also leveraging Eni proprietary technologies such as waste to fuel, waste to hydrogen, sewage sludge conversion into biomethane production by anaerobic digestion, advanced biofuels from biomass and biochemicals from biomass.
Furthermore, Eni and Pertamina agreed to explore and discuss collaboration in the field of recycling and re-use: water treatment and re-use processes and polymer recycling technologies, also pursuing eco-design processes to maximize final products recycle.
The MoU also includes opportunities for collaboration in the research and technology development for waste valorization, carbon dioxide (CO2) bio-fixation and its re-use for sustainable mobility. Finally, Eni and Pertamina will discuss cooperation and business opportunities both in Indonesia and internationally in renewable projects.
Plan for a biorefinery in Indonesia
Eni and Pertamina have also signed a Heads of Agreement for a Joint Venture aiming at the construction of an add-on grassroots biorefinery in Indonesia. In the context of this partnership, key terms of a Processing Agreement in Italian refineries have also been signed. This will enable HVO to reach the Indonesian market utilizing current Eni Ecofining Technology.
Eni has been operating in Indonesia since 2001 and currently has a large portfolio of assets in exploration, production and development. Eni is the operator of East Sepinggan Contract Area through its subsidiary Eni East Sepinggan Limited which holds an 85 percent Participating Interest while PT Pertamina Hulu Energi East Sepinggan holds the remaining 15 percent.
Production activities are located in the Kutei Basin, East Kalimantan, mainly through the Jangkrik field, in the Muara Bakau working area.